It’s late and I should be sleeping, but I keep thinking about what happens once I close my eyes. That sounds like something that should stop worrying my once I hit…oh, say...six or seven, but I’m not worried, I’m fascinated with the concept of dreaming. I believe that dreams are our body’s way of dealing with stressors in our lives. Our subconscious jumbles everything into symbols and spits out something that sometimes…well…you don’t really want to tell your friends. And every once in a while I wake up with a fading feeling that something important happened when I was sleeping. I have this vague idea that there were people there who meant something to me, but I can’t remember anything about them—that as the seconds tick away they slip farther and farther from my almost-memory. This is not me slowly slipping into madness (I hope). This is the result of either one of many episodes of Dr. Who, or a book from The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.


These almost-remembered dreams and childhood novels fuel my writing today. I wrote 300-page novel based on a snippet of a dream--the image of a little boy scrambling desperately out of the dark to get his first glimpse of the sun.
I don't know about your dreams, but mine are sometimes persistent. Before I went to college, I had a recurring dream that I was in school and I lost my locker combination. When I finally got it, I opened my locker and a giant bag of generic dog food spilled out all over the floor. Once I started college, I never had the dream again.
I believe that those people and unremembered dreams are stories I have yet to write. I'm putting names and faces to the people of my dreams one by one. Those other worlds we can’t quite remember are nothing more than an unrealized dream...an untaken journey...an unwritten poem. My stories are still untold, unheard and unloved. For now.
Blog off.

When I was in junior high, I discovered the two trilogies written by Stephen R. Donaldson and I fell in love with the idea of an anti-hero. Donaldson’s Thomas Covenant blunders through his unwanted role as savior of The Land with the firm belief that it is only a hallucination, so nothing he does there really matters. It’s maddening and endearing at the same time.