Ah February. Where did you go? You're leaving at a dead run and taking 2012 with you.

I'm ready to do another book in 30 days, but I haven't decided which one yet. I have two All the Way Finished, two Really Almost All the Way Finished, and three More than Conceptualized - I Mean There are Words on the Page, and some Grand Ideas. but I'm wondering if I shouldn't just start with a brand new idea and run with it--something random.

For example: I'm more than halfway through The Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes and I came upon this passage in "Silver Blaze..."

Gregory (Scotland Yard detective): "Is there any other point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
Holmes: "To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
Gregory: "The dog did nothing in the night-time."
Holmes: "That was the curious incident."

...which of course was where The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, the award-winning book by Mark Haddon got its title. I haven't read the book yet, but it's on my list of books to read, so that was a fun discovery.


Based on that, I decided I'm going to spend the rest of the week revisiting great lines from books I've read to see if I can draw some inspiration for new story. Whether I base my new story on that or not, it will be a fun exercise. 

Next week I'll list some of my favorite lines.

This week my favorite poem is a song by Jellyfish. Enjoy!

Hush - by Jellyfish
In the breathless hush of 4 a.m. 

In the dark sits a sad cliche
Cloaked in the navy blue of slowly fading stars 
Tell me how this came to be 
Sleeplessness talk to me 
She'd say over and over again.

Fumbling through a cut glass vase 
Passing lipstick, cotton spools 
Burning jealous pictures of marriages of friends 
You never asked to be 
The glutton of sympathy 
She says over and over again that this is the end.

Cause I see it in your eyes 
What you don't know, time to let go
I see it in your eyes 
There is so much more out there to be learned.

Such mournful words on this snowwhite vacant page 
All the lessons that she learns she packs away 
Will you never cease to be the glutton of sympathy 
She writes over and over again.

Tossing turning roll away 
Indecision won't you ever make up your mind 
Lifetime Nighttime wake the day 
Cause tomorrow will see if you've had your fill of sympathy.

Will you never cease to be the glutton of sympathy? 

Don't you know the stars are all fading let the sunshine capture 
The sparkle of your smile.